Monday, April 12, 2010

Thoughts From Dad

I thought I'd post some of my thoughts.

First off, my family is awesome.  I was thinking over the weekend that 6 years ago, Sky and I started talking on a "college dating" basis when she invited me over to her apartment and we sat around talking and watching People's Court.  Soon after she asked me to watch her dog Chelsea while she went on a week long adventure to see the birth of her Tau Beta Sigma sister's child...  Fast forward six years, married with two wonderful kids.  We have a big house, live in a quiet subdivision, and both of are kids go to an excellent school.

Sky is the epitome of an excellent mother.  She does everything for those boys and goes to extreme lengths to make sure they are getting the proper education and guidance.  She rushes to their rescue if they fall and get hurt and she holds them when they are crying and/or scare.  She laughs with then (and sometimes at them) when they are happy.  She looks for ways to ensure they are exposed to creative and new experiences.  Excellent mother, I can't say it enough.

Adrian is my ace.  He's my firstborn, and if you ever met him, you would know he's my son.  Most people say he looks more like his mother, which may be true, but he acts just like me.  Sky and I are sure he has Asperger's Syndrome, and Sky has stated that she is sure I have/had Asperger's as well.  I've come to terms that I probably have it, although I've obviously learned to deal with it.  As smart as Adrian is, I worry at times about his social and emotional development (areas where he is having trouble).  The kid can use a computer on his own, has the brain power to use logic to solve problems that may be complex for his age (3), and is speaking in understandable compound sentences.  You show him a picture of a classroom with a butterfly in it and ask him where the butterfly is...  he will tell you that the butterfly shouldn't be in the classroom.  He's a thinker, just like his dad.  I know Sky gets frustrated with him at times, and so do I, but I feel that I understand him better, because, let's face it, I have what he has.  Our brains function differently that others, so I have been told.  Two famous individuals that have had Asperger's--Bill Gates and Albert Einstein.  Who better to be categorized with?  I am just hoping that we can get him the proper assistance for his social/emotional development, because the kid is a genius and will change the world one day.

Micah is just the most pleasant (well, until about a week ago) baby ever.  He is 13 months now, walking, trying to talk.  He's smart and uses sign language to communicate.  Most recently, he has been described by Sky and I as being... "just like his brother".  Sure, that could be a good thing, maybe he's baby genius #2...  but we are talking about his tantrums.  I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary.  Baby opens drawer, parent tells him no, baby swats arm at you and cries.  Baby slaps parent, parent thumps baby's hand, baby looks angry and cries...  Standard Parenting 101 stuff.  We will have to watch him develop to see if he shows signs of Asperger's like his brother did.  But until now, Micah has been the "ideal" baby.  Five minutes out of the womb, he was chillin' calmly, no crying, active.  First night from the hospital, slept alone through the night.  First year, slept through the night.  Only cries when hungry or very tired.  Easy to put to sleep.  The dream child!  I think now he is more conscious of the world and realizes there is more to life than bottles, diapers, and naptime.  Time will tell.

Overall, I'm very optimistic.  Every family has its faults, but I would not trade anything in the world for what I have in my family.  Stay tuned as the adventure is only beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment